Two summers ago, my husband and I purchased a brand new home in a neighborhood we love. The only catch was that we moved in with what I refer to as our “dollhouse furniture.” It doesn’t fit the new space, but filling a house with brand new furniture can be quite costly. We’ve chosen to decorate one room at a time. Since our children’s happiness is our top priority, we started out with their room. Our boys share their bedroom, so it was pretty easy to knock that out this time last year. A month or so ago, we bought furniture for their playroom. We have a few things to add in, but for the most part, they’re taken care of. Hopefully, we’ll get the dining room taken care of by the begining of summer. I want a big dining room table that fits the space appropriately. The table we have in there now is square and only seats four, hence the reference to “dollhouse furniture.” Our poor old sofa is in desperate need for a little tlc, so I decided to give it a few new pillows. They’re so easy to make! I chose two down pillows that measured 24″ x 24″ and two down pillows that measured 14″ x 20″.
1. Cut your fabric an inch and a half longer and an inch and a half wider than your pillow.
a. For my pillows I cut out two pieces of fabric that measured 25 1/2″ x 25 1/2″ for each square pillows and two pieces of fabric that measured 15 1/2″ x 21 1/2″ for each rectangular pillow.
2. Use a serger to serge all the edges.
3. Load your upholstry thread onto your sewing machine
4. Sew a zipper onto the right side of one of the pieces of fabric at the bottom.
a. I use a zipper, because if you have a spill of some sort, you can remove the cover, turn it inside out and launder the cover.
5. Line up the two pieces of fabric (right sides together) and sew the zipper onto the other piece of fabric.
6. With right sides of the fabric still facing one another, start at one end of the zipper and sew all the way around the edges of the square / rectangle to the other end of the zipper.
a. It will look like you sewed your pillow cover inside out.
7. Unzip the zipper and turn the pillow cover right side out.
8. Insert your pillow into the cover and zip it back up.
Voila, you have a super easy to make pillow cover!!!